High Performance Computing at PennMedicine is supported by the Enterprise Research Applications (ERA) group within Penn Medicine Academic Computing Services (PMACS). Please send requests and report problems to Jason/Rikki/Anand.
The Enterprise Research Applications (ERA) group within Penn Medicine Academic Computing Services (PMACS) is a small and diverse team of individuals who are focused on providing High Performance and Research Computing Support to the faculty and staff at the University of Pennsylvania.
PMACS ERA Team:
- Jason Hughes, Director, Enterprise Research Applications
- Rikki Godshall, Enterprise IT Architect
- Anand Srinivasan, Sr. IT Project Leader
About the PMACS Cluster
The PMACS HPC facility opened in April of 2013 to meet the increasing growth in genomics processing and storage, as well as growth in other scientific areas requiring computational capacity such as imaging and bio-statistics/bioinformatics. The cluster is managed by the Enterprise Research Applications (ERA) team within Penn Medicine Academic Computing Services (PMACS), and is located at the Philadelphia Technology Park, a Tier-3, SSAE 16/SAS 70 Type II Audit compliant colocation/data center facility.
The hardware of the PMACS Cluster comprises of:
- 1 dedicated master node
- 64 IBM iDataPlex cluster nodes which serve Compute nodes
- Each compute node has:
- Two eight-core Intel E5-2665 2.4Ghz Xeon Processors, with hyperthreading turned on (so 32 threads per node)
- 256 GB of RAM each (16GB per physical core)
- 500 GB of internal storage
- 1 dedicated "Big-Memory" machine - 64 cores & 1.5TB RAM
- 870 TB of total usable shared disk storage provided via an eight-node IBM Scale out Network Attached Storage (SONAS) system
- 1.8PB Archival storage
- All compute and storage connected via 10GigE interconnect
- Dedicated 10GigE PennNet link from campus to the datacenter
Computational job scheduling/queuing and cluster management is orchestrated by the IBM Platform Computing suite of products.
The PennHPC baseline cost structure is fee-for-service based around the service-center model. Below are the costs associated with using the PMACS cluster as of 4/30/2014:
- $0.035/computational/vCore slot hour
- $0.055/GB/month for Disk usage
- $0.015/GB/month for Archive storage
- $95/hour for consulting services (excludes account setup)
- No charges to maintain an account; charges are billed on an as-consumed basis only. If data is left behind by a user who longer uses the cluster, charges will be billed for disk usage until the data is deleted from the account.
For Account requests please contact Jason Hughes, Rikki Godshall or Anand Srinivasan
Please be sure to include the following information in your account request email:
- User's Full Name:
- Username (PennKey):
- User's Email:
- User's PennID:
- Undergraduate Student: Yes/No
- Graduate Student: Yes/No
- MD Student: Yes/No
- PhD Candidate: Yes/No
- Post-Doctoral Fellow/Researcher: Yes/No
- PI's Full Name:
- PI's Email:
- PI's PennKey (if exists):
- BA's Name:
- BA's Email:
- 26-digt Budget Code for Billing:
- Data stored on the cluster requires HIPPA/other compliance?: Yes/No
Note: If the user account is not requested by the BA/PI, we will follow up directly with the BA/PI for authorization.
Penn Acceptable Use Policy: http://www.upenn.edu/computing/policy/aup.html
Don't run compute-intensive tasks on the cluster head node (consign). Use an interactive node (bsub -Is bash) instead. Please read the man page for 'bsub' or refer the User Guide